Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fancy Nan

Happy, Happy Birthday to a "Woman of Letters"-- a sophisticated lady named "Fancy Nancy."
Through the years she has read many important books and written and edited many amazing papers. Here are some great pieces of literature in honor of our birthday girl... A collection of very deep and important poetry.
Welcome to the "Classy" world of silly poetry.

I found this old book at a thrift store years ago, called "The Goops". It is a book of manners for little and big children, written by a well educated graduate from Berkley. He also wrote "I never saw a purple cow. I never hope to see one. But I can tell you anyhow, I'd rather see than be one." He was a little embarassed that his most successful, memorable writings were these two masterpieces- The Goops, and "I never saw a purple cow." (Click on these pages to see them more easily)




I'm glad these two little girls, who love to "lick their fingers and spill their broth on table cloths
are not really "Goops."...aren't you ?


But these five children, I am not sure about. I read "The Goops" to them many times when they were growing up, and I still think that they "gug and gumble" their food. I also read the next poem to them as well. I am sure at least one of them loved to tease every little monkey in his family. I think that he would tease the devil himself, if he had a chance. (sorry about the use of "he" in this story. I guess you know who you are.)



The message of the monkeys teasing a crocodile is a great story about not getting too close to the evil side of the world. Read this one to your children with great drama and sadness when their little brother is eaten up and it will scare them (for several minutes) into behaving like good little monkeys.

Here is fancy Nancy, Kreative Kathy, and Joyful Jake sitting on a chair full of wonderful words.
I think this post has inspired me to become the great poet and writer that I was meant to become. (Is that good English, Nan?)

I don't think that there was ever a day in our family when there wasn't a little bit, or a lot of "Name calling" that went on..and on..and on. Sometimes we charged a fine for each bad name, sometimes we sent them to their rooms or outside in the cold, sometimes we had them go to separate rooms with "an adversity book" to write down in their own words- what they had done to start this war of name calling. I am pretty sure that Nancy does not call people bad names anymore. But maybe she could keep a frog in her pocket to remind here to watch her tongue.

I am so glad, that in this serious world, that our family has never grown up. We love to play. This is one of my favorite pictures of Nan at our annual turkey shoot. We get up early and stuff a turkey for thanksgiving, then after our feast, we stuff brown paper bag turkeys and go out for a turkey shoot. We take bows and arrows, darts, and even b-b guns. We have killed many paper bag turkeys in our day. This next poem reminds us how important it is to never grow up.

My mother read this poem to me many times when I was six. It was written by the famous "Winnie the Pooh" author- A. A. Milne. I was six when I was given his little book "Now We Are Six." Jake is now at the ripe old age of six. What a landmark in his life. I hope that he stays six for a very long time. (Or at least until we return from Denmark)




Nancy is a world class traveler. She has played in France, in Spain, in Egypt, in Jordan, and even in Provo, Utah. We hope that all of our family will come to Denmark before we leave to play with us at Tivoli, and Lego Land. We just discovered that we are only a few hours from a world of lego people. I think it is one of the seven wonders of the world.



This is Nan with two of her sisters, Kathy and Stephanie. When they were little, almost every Christmas we would read the next poem- "King John's Christmas." It is about a real King John who was a terrible, wicked, not so smart king. (1199- 1216 AD) His reign was one of the most disastrous reigns in English history, earning him the nickname "Bad King John." In 2006, he wasselected by the "BBC History Magazine" as the 13th century's "Worst Briton."
People love to write about "Bad King John." Shakespeare wrote about him in the "Life and Death of King John." Sir Walter Scott wrote about him in his romance novel, "Ivanhoe." He was a villain in "Robin Hood" by Sam De Grasse (1922). Even Walt Disney loved this wicked king in the movie "Robin Hood." He is portrayed as a spoiled, simpleminded man in the 1966 movie, "The Lion in Winter." And now you know more than you ever wanted to know, about the story behind A.A.Milne's Christmas poem..."King John's Christmas."




I made the mistake of putting page four before page three in this post. I'm not sure how to edit these pictures so skip down to page three and then read page four. Sorry.

Read page three below and then page four above. Are you confused yet?

A happy ending for the "Not So Nice" bad king John.




Through the years, Nancy has tried hard to learn how to be frugal. Robert and Nan are saving for their first home. She carefully saves her budgeted monthly personal spending dollars for a beautiful scarf or fancy shoes. She is still- "Fancy Nancy" after all. This little poem is one that we read to each other as the family was growing up. It is the key to prosperity during our financial crisis or should we say, our political crisis.


Love this picture of Max. He looks like he is beginning his life with great love for the things of this world that really matter.


Nan and Robert love exotic, tasty, nutritious meals. It is very fun to start with fruit and cheese, tasty homemade soup, and Robert's homemade bread when you visit their cozy, comfortable home.
(no matter where they live).


Reading this poem makes me hungry for a little snack.



This is a picture of Nan and Robert in Jesusalem. What an amazing site. They have had many great adventures together since they got married. I am sure that there are many more to come.

They are always planning ahead. This little poem reminds me of the windows
of opportunities
that open when you bring a good cast iron frying pan with you, just in case.
If "you're shell is cracked, and your yolk runs out" there is always another happy solution to yourproblems. There is such meaning in "Silly Poetry."


Nancy is a very serious, studious girl. She has always had a good mind. She is a busy, hard working, responsible daughter. All of our children are serious, studious, smart, busy, hardworking and responsible. (Except for one, of course- and you know who you are.)



Our family would never think of being silly, shallow, lazy, irresponsible, or having no bright ideas.



This is a picture of Nan and her three sisters... getting pedicures together in a recent trip to Washington, DC. Sorry Nick is missing in this picture. He is one of our hard working children who has no time for manicures and pedicures. He is one of our most serious children.


I found this old valentine written in 1887 about four sisters. I thought that it's flowery language, and serious tone would fit in this post of serious, silly poetry for Nancy. It must be read outloud to get the full impact of its message.


Happy Birthday to both Robert and Nancy. It has been a wonderful year full of many serious, and silly things. Stay happy and continue to enjoy the great things of this life. We miss you both. Hope to see you this year in Denmark. We have lots of new pictures to take, and many new things to discover in the land of the Vikings...a place, by the way, that is full of silly sculptures, and private Danish jokes. You'll love it. See you soon.

It is snowing outside today. We love the weather here in Denmark. One day can be full of rain, snow, sunshine, and beautiful, dark clouds. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has given us so much weather... and so many seasons. I have learned to appreciate the many changes in our lives. Thank heavens for daily surprises. Thank heavens for the little things in our lives that make us smile. I hope some of you have a few silly poems from times past that you could share.
Lots of memories are wrapped up in the silly little stories that pop into our heads.


So here's to Nancy Lynn Wilberg Ricks. Happy Birthday from your "Next to Perfect" parents who have raised four beautiful daughters and one handsome son...with 14 1/2 perfect grandchildren.
Thank you for being so fancy. We love you, Mom
Note: By the way, to show you how fancy Nancy is...the background for all of these silly poems is from Nancy's first quilt that she designed and is now sewing together at Kathy's in her spare time. Aren't you impressed ? Good job, Nan.






























7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mom! You are pretty much super rad. I love all these series of images you gather for our bdays. They are of wonderful moments and fab memories! These photos and thoughts so reminded of our awesome family I got a little choked up. Not optimal while at work. Love you lots!! p.s. The quilt is coming along nicely. Thanks, Kath!

Kathy said...

Love all those photos!...especially those with Nancy, Steph and Tina making funny faces. Where is that?

Anyway, I loved reading those poems, too. I can almost her you say them to us. I need to memorize a few.

I love our goofy family. I like saying I come from a family of 4 sisters and a brother. It just fits, ya know? In Oregon, Margaret said something to me about being blood related. I'm not sure exactly how it was said but basically that with family relations comes a deep and strong connection. I feel that with you guys!

Thanks, Mom! Love you!

oh, yeah. and Happy Birthday, Nanc- :)

Kathy said...

p.s. Mom, next time could you lengthen your posts? They are just TOO short. :)

happytape! said...

love all these pictures and memory poems! thanks, mom! and happy birthday, again, ms. nancy! i hope it was great!

Belva Wilberg and Elder JJ Simonsen said...

Thank you so much for all your comments.. I loved wandering down memory lane with these little poems and so many great pictures- taken by many of you. Love you all,..and miss you, Mom

PS. Those crazy faced pictures were taken by some sneaky daughters who grabbed Carl's camera and made all kinds of funny faces. We didn't discover them until I downloaded them into my computer. Now they have come back to haunt them ! love you- mom

Mom/Cindy said...

Good job, Bel. Great pics, fun poems, and wonderful memories. I'm thankful you're all a part of the Simmons' lives. Thanks for sharing all this with us. Happy birthday, Fancy Nancy.
Love to you all.
Me

Stepi said...

Wow! How fun! What a neat post and Happy Happy Birthday to Nan! I love Fancy Nancy but I just thought of a great new name! Glam-o-rama Nana Banana!! I love it!

Those pics we put on dad's camera were cracking me up! I didn't know where they came from at first...and then I remembered!