Sunday, March 07, 2010

Snowmaggedon- the twin blizzards of 2010











Just a few photos of the twin blizzards we had in DC in February 2010. Within 5 days we had over 36 inches of snow. That's a lot for an area that gets maybe 10 inches a winter.

You'd think being snowed in you'd be so bored that you'd have a lot of time to do projects you've been putting off. You'd be wrong. Your mind and body kind of shut down. The days merge together. You spend your time between the couch, the bed and the kitchen foraging for food. Luckily we have a well stocked food storage with plenty of chocolate and snacks. I realized somewhere in there I was going on day 3 with no shower.

Luckily we never lost power or heat (which means never ending videos and video games)Once it started melting we did have a problem with icedams in the gutters, which gives you spectacular icicles (see that one in the photo of Max) and the water backs up and starts leaking inside. Like on top of our TV and through our light fixture, messing up our brand new paint job and giving Emily an eye-twitch as she started having flashbacks to the Flood of 2009.

All in all, it was a lot of FUN (I thought) to be forced to slow down and spend some time together.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

hahaha. I love it. It was a strange phenomena to behold...I can completely understand about foraging for food..when I wasnt lying in bed...

Stepi said...

So fun! I would have loved it too. I love being cozy and eating and being able to read all day and not feel guilty. We all need a few snow days!

Kathy said...

THose are great photos! That snow was crazy! Fun for a little bit but I'm happy it's melted. I'm sick of trying to stop the boys from eating dirty snow.